Thursday 30 July 2015

“The Spirit Lives On”

G'day all.  Tonight I am unveiling the quilt that I am delivering to Soldier On tomorrow.  It will be auctioned at their Gala Ball this year like last year's quilt was.    

This year the quilt "The Spirit Lives On" was made by Leanne Mac and hasn't she done an amazing job!!!   Leanne took her inspiration from the Lee Kernaghan album "Spirit of the ANZACs" released earlier this year.

I wish you could see the quilt in the flesh as the photos do not do the richness of the colours justice.  

Thanks to Ian Coate for the silhouette of the soldier.  Ian is the Artist in Residence at the SASR Historical Foundation and has been kind enough to let me use a number of his silhouettes on our quilts.   You can, and should, check out Ian's wonderful works here

All the tickets for the ball have been sold out so I am I am trying to find out if you will be able to buy tickets online.  I will share that info when I get it.





Another of our talented community is Lucy Carroll and the details of her upcoming Women in Defence Exhibition have been posted on the Cairns Events page.  

Lucy Carroll's exhibition, Women in Defence is an exploration of life as a female member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF). Lucy's work aims to challenge the public perception of the lives and conditions facing women in the ADF. The exhibition is a rich combination of tactile images created by using a multitude of layers, including textiles, painted surfaces and collage.



You can check out more of Lucy's wonderful works here

Of course one of the pieces in the exhibition is the quilt that Lucy created of yours truly which I am sure you have all seen by now...  how talented is this woman!


If you are anywhere near Cairns I strongly suggest you get along and check out the "Women In Defence" exhibition.

Now a little business....

Tomorrow I am driving to Canberra. I have to leave early in the morning in order to be able to deliver the quilt to Soldier On before I head to my first appointment. I probably won't get to check any emails til around dinner time tomorrow but I will get back to you.   On Saturday I will hit the road about 10am and will be at the Squilters Retreat until mid afternoon.  I will then be driving back to Sydney so once again it will be tomorrow evening before I get to emails.  But.. as always... I will get to them.

As usual Sunday will be my one chance to sew this week and Monday is the day I put the request list out so if at all possible, if you have photos to send me or quilts or laundry bags that need allocating can you save the emails til Tuesday.  That would be really helpful.  That said though, I do know I have some people who genuinely only really get time to email me on weekends.  If that is the case, please go right ahead.

Till next time................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!
Jan-Mareexx


2 comments:

  1. OMG, that's a stunning quilt...well done Leanne. Thanks for sharing and keeping us inspired JM. I hope the quilt makes a squillion for Soldier On???

    ReplyDelete