Wednesday 14 November 2012

Happy Mail 14 November

First up tonight for Happy Mail - Naomi and the BOMs

Hi everyone, I only have two pics to share with you this week, the first are some from Octobers BOM from Liz J in Wirrabara, SA.


Next we have some November BOM's from Maddy in WA.
Thank you so much ladies, they're great.

Hugs and stay safe
Naomi

Thanks Naomi.

You might be interested to know that in the last week or so there have been several duplicate requests made for several serving members.  I think that is lovely but it is just as well I have a fairly good memory for names!

Now it is my turn to share some happy mail.  First up check out this gorgeous backing fabric that Judy C from QLD dyed for AHQ.  The photo does not do it justice but this is 5m of 240cm wide calico that has been dyed.  I reckon we can get at least four backings out of it and there will be leftovers for blocks as well I think.  I just love the way the patterns have come out.  


Hilary from QLD sent me this great laundry bag and she is planning to make more.


In addition to parcels in the mail I have some lovely emails to share as well.

The following message was left on Facebook relating to a quilt that Stephanie sent.  

I received my quilt and laundry bag this week and I wanted to say a massive thank you. It really made my day. They are both beautiful. I will post a pic as soon as I'm able.
This is an amazing group. Thank you.

And I think she is right - you are an amazing group!

I have already heard from a lovely fellow who saw the above quilt and he said "I was shown one of your awesome quilts by XXXX and I would like to congratulate you on such a good idea and also to ask if it might be possible to get a few more to be send over? We are happy to contribute in any way we can."  I am just waiting to hear back from him. 

:-)

Terry is the lovely lady who came and helped me piece batting on Monday.  I was really delighted to hear that her quilt ended up with a very appreciative gentleman who sent her this heartfelt thank you.

Good Evening Terry,

First and foremost WOW, what a wonderful gift to receive whilst deployed.  It makes my room feel like home.   I am so grateful for what you have done and I will cherish it for life.  It makes what we do so much more joyful when we know people care.  At times being deployed can be hard, but I must say it is such an honour to serve my country in this way and I do my part to give back to this country what it has given me; freedom and a way of life that is relatively safe. 
My family back home will be totally chuffed when they see what you have done for me.   I was just thinking about your father Louis P Clark and the sacrifice that he made.  The reason we serve is because of men like your father.  It is an honor to receive this quilt and laundry bag from you, so thank you so much. 
Very Very grateful.


Doesn't this just make you proud to be an Aussie! 
I asked Terry to fill us in a little about her Dad  and this is what she wrote.   

My Dad Louis P Clark LT U.S.Navy and was deployed during the Korean War on the Minesweeper the USS Tucan.  He was a quiet, some what solitary man, who's family was his world. He enjoyed the outdoors both hunting and fishing. As I worked on the quilt I remembered him with pride and love.  I was not yet 3 when he shipped out,  but I remember having measles and no Daddy for my third birthday. Hadn't thought of that for a long time.

Then I received this email which is also in response to Terry's quilt.  

Good Afternoon Jan-Maree,

My name is XXXX and I am currently deployed overseas on Operation Slipper. I am a serving Navy member but am currently deployed with a Army Unit in the Middle East. 
I hail from the Central Coast NSW where my parents still live and also have a younger brother in the Navy who is due to deploy for Operation Slipper early early next year.

I work with XXXXXXX  who received the most amazing quilt and Laundry bag from one of your lovely ladies today. (You should have seen us all gathered around him as he opened the parcel and read out the letter) The quilt and letter were so touching and heart felt that it brought a tear to my eye. It would mean so much to me if you or one of your talented ladies would like to make me a quilt.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you and all the other ladies who make the quilts as I know how much they would mean to my fellow diggers and sailors serving.
Kind Regards,


:-)

Then I was included on the mailing list for this lovely email from a fellow who received one of my laundry bags not too long ago.  This was for Lynda and the wonderful Pilgrim Patchworkers who recently sent off ten quilts.

You deserve a handwritten letter but that would take at least a week or two to get you you so I thought an email with a couple of photos would be more appropriate.  Thank you very much to you and the Pilgrim Patchworkers for my quilt, laundry bag, lollies and your letter. I think the Hero Quilt Program is a wonderful thing and an amazing way to remind those who are deployed that they are in people's minds back in Australia.

As you can see I have the quilt on my bed - it goes perfectly with the sheets that my beautiful family gave me.   I must admit that I received a laundry bag from Jan Maree a couple of weeks ago but, with your concurrence,  I intend to pass on the laundry bag that you made to my replacement in a few months so it will continue to be appreciated for a long time to come. Please feel free to pass the photos to other members of the Pilgrim Patchworkers if you'd like to.

Thank you also for your wishes. I am expecting to be home by Christmas after 12 months away from my family which will be wonderful. I also wish you and the rest of the Pilgrims of Doncaster a great Christmas. Thank you again for your gift, it is very special.





:-D

Rae was thrilled to bits when she received this thank you message and who wouldn't be!

Dear Rae and Ken,
I just wanted to pass on my thanks for such a wonderful quilt. I can feel the care and detail that has gone into creating it - the quality is superb and choice of fabric is ideal for a man-about-town such as myself! It fits perfectly on my bunk, compacts well for travel about the operational theatre, and adds that perfect layer of warmth. As we head into the winter months now it is increasingly a welcome feature of my sleeping hours. When I get home next year, I will have to fight to keep it from the rest of the family I'm sure. Luckily, my wife and kids don't have a chance - I think!
Sorry for the delay in sending this through, but I wanted to make sure that I had a good photo to send you. I had a friend take this and thought it came out well.  Happy for you to share, though someone once advised me I'd do well to stay off 60 minutes.

Your time, effort and care is truly appreciated - it's a wonderful way of showing support for the work that we do.

Kind regards



LOL Can't imagine what this dapper looking "man-about-town" would do that would see him end up on 60 Minutes!

;-)

I regularly hear from wives, partners, mothers, friends of our Heroes and a couple of them shared things with me that I thought you would like to know and which they have told me I may share.

First up - this lovely lady first wrote and requested a quilt for her husband and said she had some fabric to donate.  To cut a long story short I put her in touch with another Aussie Hero Friend so that she could donate the fabric.  Well, guess what!   Last week she sent off her first laundry bag and this week she has made five more and plans to make five a week!  She had never really learned to sew before and now look at her!  I am so proud of her and I bet her husband will be too.  Today she shared these thoughts with me which I just love.

I'm loving your blog by the way. I can't begin to explain how beneficial the inclusiveness of it feels, especially as a spouse separated from family and hometown, to feel apart of something is wonderful. Thank you.


Another clever wife shared the following tip with me and I asked if I could put it on the blog as I think there might be other mums of young ones that might like this idea too.

I've made a kisses jar for my three year old, with a Hershey's kiss for everyday that Daddy is away.  Each night she can have a kiss from Daddy; the fewer that's in the jar the sooner it'll be a real kiss from Daddy. 

Like I said, a gorgeous hint for other young mums but also an insight into the little things that you have to consider when you are the Mum at home alone with the little and not so little ones.  

I can't tell you how much I admire the partners of these men.  
My husband has always traveled for work.  I have largely raised my boys, Monday to Friday, on my own with Dad stepping in seamlessly when he is home,  but he only goes away for weeks at a time, or at the moment mostly Monday to Friday.  He might have found himself in a few sticky situations once or twice, but he has never been away more than three weeks or so and is not in a war zone etc.  I have always known where he is and have rarely worried about his safety.   It has been hard but it is NOTHING in comparison to the challenges that these wonderful women face and they do it because they love and support their partners. 
 I take my hat off to you ladies.   You are the unsung Heroes.

Till next time...........keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment