Friday 12 October 2012

QOTW 12 October

622 Quilts 687 Laundry Bags to date!

Grab a cuppa, grab a snack, and get comfy!

I managed to finish a quilt for a change with the help of Carol (Turramurra Twin fame) who quilted it for me and Del who hand stitched the binding and Narelle who donated all the green strips in the chinese coin panels.
Obviously this is for a garden lover.

Deborah sent the first three of these quilts off a couple of weeks ago and I missed putting them on the blog.  Thank goodness she reminded me.  Please don't hesitate to job my memory if you  have sent a quilt off and haven't seen it on the blog.





More of Deborah's made it in the mail  this week.




Julie Ann dispatched this great brick quilt and 

a double sided laundry bag.

 Back and Front

 Karen B sent off another batch of laundry bags.


We had a request to send a laundry bag to a fellow who is in a position where he rarely sees Aussie Care Packages.  He spied his mate's Eagles Laundry Bag and naturally asked his mate to hand it over.  Again, naturally, his mate said "no way" but being a good mate, he asked very politely if Marg would make one more.  Well, let me tell you - MARG is a CLASS 1 softie but this is the VERY LAST, THE FINAL, THE NEVER TO BE MADE AGAIN  Eagles laundry bag.  


As this fellow is so isolated and obviously in need of a little Aussie love Liz also sent him a quilt.  I think this one will go down a treat!


 Liz is about to head off on a driving holiday for several weeks and reckons she hasn't got time for a holiday from Aussie Heroes but I know she will come back ready to sew! In the mean time she has managed to squeeze one more quilt into her schedule and sent this one and the coordinating laundry bag off as well.


Liz had to force herself to stop sewing quilts in order to get ready for the trip but she had managed to sew some laundry bags and this one went off this week as well.

Melissa  also made some laundry bags this week.  These ones are for the Navy but I have to laugh!  Army and Navy people often refer to the RAAFies as "Crabs"!  There are various reasons why, none of them polite.  These bags are destined for Navy personnel luckily!


  Stephanie had been busy scrap busting!






Gail has also been working with scraps - just love scrap quilts!


Jennifer B has just completed her first Aussie Hero Quilt and laundry bag.  It is not hard to tell that she is a professional quilter!  Gorgeous!



 Tarissa and the ladies from the RAAF Williamtown Craft Group have made a batch of laundry bags to send off.


Jacqui has completed a lovely quilt and I really like the different coloured sashing!  I am going to have to try and remember to do that myself!


Deb B made this gorgeous bright quilt - the colours just seem to say Aussie Outback to me.


She has teamed it with a fabulous laundry bag too but I can't show it to you as the recipient might guess it is for him and we don;t want to spoil the surprise.  Some I know aren't watching - others I am not so sure!

Joanne has also completed her first couple of Aussie Hero quilts, complete with coordinating laundry bags.  Isn't it great to see first timers joining in!





Carolynne D sent off this laundry bag and quilt a couple of weeks ago when I was away for a few days and somehow it slipped though the net so here they are tonight.  
Thankfully Carolynne reminded me about them!



Hillary has also been busy and this week she has boosted our numbers by a whopping six quilts and laundry bags!  WOW!
I have to say that I have a thing for pink and green so this quilt is my favourite from Hilary's selection.  In fact when I joined the RAAF I packed a pink and green floral doona cover into my suitcase (this was before I had discovered quilts) to brighten my room.












Nancy is bringing up the rear in tonight's post with 13 quilts!  These are some that she and her band of workers in WA have put together and also some tops that I have sent her for completion.  Forgive me if I don't give credit to those who made the tops - it is too hard for me to keep track of all of them - feel free to email me if you see your work and I will edit the post.














WOWO!!!  What a huge number of quilts and laundry bags!  And all of them different and striking in their own ways.

Till next time........keep spreading the word and happy stitching!


4 comments:

  1. yippee!!!! What brilliant numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the biggest post so far! an enormous effort, Well done does not say it well enough, Just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FANTASTIC work by everyone! Do you think the write up in Down Under Quilters has been the reason for such a huge number of quilts and bags coming your way? Whatever the reason, it is such a buzz for the guys and gals overseas who are serving Australia. And another group has just left for Afghanistan - more quilts and bags needed! Jan, I'm sorry I haven't done any more but with a sick hubby and two exhibitions in the past two months, I haven't done much sewing at all, but I'm gradually getting myself sorted out and will get another one off asap. Not that you're sweating on my humble offerings, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to know that there are quilters making quilts for the Aussie heroes too. My friend Khris in OLD. makes them too.

    ReplyDelete