Monday 22 October 2012

Another One Lost

By now you probably all know that we have lost another brave young man overnight.  Another sad day for us but oh how painful it must be for his family and friends and his colleagues who become like a second family.  I know that all our thoughts are with those near and dear to him tonight.

For me it helps to know that we are doing something to boost morale of those that are left behind, those that must carry on the job every day no matter how hard that is.   it just encourages me to sew a bit more.  

I have a contact in Afghanistan who receives laundry bags from time to time to hand around to her co-workers.  When a box arrives the contents are snapped up.  So, anyone who wants to make some bags with patches on them, just go for it.  You can fit five to six in a box depending on weight so when you get a full box just email me with a picture and I will tell you who to send it to.   I also have laundry bags going to HMAS ANZAC and Dubai and I share them around.









Not too long ago I heard that someone said - 
I don't do laundry bags any more as they take 2m of material and I would rather make quilts with my fabrics.
I am afraid that they are missing the point.  As I keep saying, the quilts are wonderful and very much appreciated but the laundry bags are the necessity that make every day life just that much easier.  The laundry bags are not hard to make - there are instructions on the blog - and you can often use the "ugly" fabrics or those fabrics that you look at and think "what did I buy that for?"  You probably wouldn't use that fabric for a quilt anyway.  

I have wonderful ladies who are searching Charity Stores like Vinnies and the Salvos for anything that is suitable.  Laundry bags do not need to be made from patchwork fabric.  As long as the fabric is in good condition with no holes or signs of wear it is fine.  They can be lined with sheeting or old doona covers.  Start looking around you  and asking around and you will be surprised what you will find or even better what people will give you.

And as always, if you can't sew laundry bags and quilts and still want to contribute maybe you can sew some of our Blocks of the Month (info here) or check out our How to Help Page here and see if there is something there that works for you.


Till next time............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

7 comments:

  1. From the mouth of a Soldier, the quilt was AMAZING but, the laundry bag was just as fantastic, it meant that I could identify my laundry immediately and stopped the confusion, it was also a talking point amongst others. This is how I was able to tell other Soldiers' what I had received, the quilt remained in my living quarter, but the laundry bag everyone seen, so to the person who said they don't want to make laundry bags, please don't stop, these are what everyone sees and gets to enjoy even if they have not been lucky enough to receive a quilt. Thank you Aussie Hero Quilts (and laundry bags) for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be sure you will read my reply but thank you so much! It always really touches me when I hear from one of you, especially to find out that you are reading the blog. Thanks so much! And so glad that what we are doing is making a difference! You have made my day!
      JMxx

      Delete
  2. Great reply - good to hear first hand that what looks and sounds the insignificant part of the package is so much appreciated. It is definitely a piece of fabric well used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sad to hear the news today, Jan Maree did you get the picture I sent you for a pretty quilt top I just finished, if you know someone please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funnily enough I was chatting to my retired soldier.hubby the other day, reminding him to get details of a couple of friends deploying and we got talking about the laundry bags. He commented that 12 years ago when he was in timor they just had plain canvas bags and that the laundry room was not a happy place... I won't repeat his description except to say he indicated how grey and dull it was. I would love to be able to get quilts to everyone but the joy from the laundry bags just reminds me that our serving men and women are fearful for the love and support in all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a heartfelt post today, My heart goes out to the family and the men and women serving. Those laundry bags look so darn cute, a patch of sunshine in their day when they see the laundry bags. Great work. I love those plaid ones with the stars on them, cool fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to hear another loss. I can not imagine the pain his family and friends must be feeling...

    Onto laundry bags- not only is a good way to get rid of that 'what was I thinking' fabric, but I've also discovered that if I use the wrong side of some cream tone-on-tone floral fabric, I can line laundry bags with it and the floral is very muted and only noticable if you look really closely. I *knew* there was a reason I bought so much of it so long ago!

    ReplyDelete