Friday 14 September 2012

Quilts of the Week and HMAS ANZAC


 535 Quilt 565 Laundry Bags 
YAY!!!



And while we are celebrating 83 new facebook followers this week  Woo Hoo!!!

First up tonight I thought I would share some of the messages I have been receiving from HMAS ANZAC.  Every sailor who has won the chance to receive one of the quilts we have offered them has had to email me to confirm their details.  Some of their emails are so gorgeous I wanted to share them with you.

Good Morning Jan Maree and everyone at Aussie Hero Quilts, 
I am currently serving on HMAS ANZAC conducting OP Slipper and have been lucky enough to have be chosen to receive one of the quilts that you are so kindly making for us.  I think that this is a great thing that you guys are doing for us and is something that will definately help boost the morale with the ship being away for a long period of time.
I am finding the trip to be alright so far, although I have had a lapse here and there along the way.  My husband is also in the Navy, we have been married for 2 and a half years and have only spent approx 4 months together all up in that time.  He has also done this deployment last year and had only gotten home the end of March this year whilst ANZAC was in the middle of her workups for the deployment so we, after this trip is over for me, would have spent 3 weeks together over the last 17 months.  We are both looking forward to actually spending some time together when ANZAC returns home early next year.
I'd just like to thank you for what you are doing for the ship it is amazing.   Hope you are well and have a lovely weekend.


Oh My Goodness!  Doesn't that just melt your heart!

I'm currently serving on HMAS ANZAC.  I'm writing to you to simply thank you for making those wonderful "Aussie Hero Quilts".   My name was drawn from the list to receive a hand made quilt from you. The photos that were shown to us of the quilts look terrific, the beer themed one was beautiful.  (does anyone have any beer fabric available?)
Thankyou to you and your helpers for taking time out of your days to make these items for us.  It really does mean alot to the ships company that people such as yourselves are going to such great lenghts for us.  Your effort has certainly brought a massive smile to the HMAS ANZAC's faces.
Once again thankyou to you and all your helpers.
My name is XXXXX and Chaplain XXXXX has asked me to contact you as I am one of the lucky member's onboard HMAS Anzac to receive a homemade Aussie Hero Quilt.
On behalf of myself and fellow ship mates, I would like to thank you in advance for such a generous gesture.


I'm on HMAS ANZAC, I am one of the lucky ones to receive one of your quilts, thank you so much it's amazing what you're doing definitely does make you feel special knowing someone is doing such a nice thing for us while were up here.
can't wait to receive your quilt,
thank you again, 


How are you? I have been told to introduce myself as I am one of the lucky members of HMAS Anzac to recieve a quilt generously made by you.
Also, just wanted to say thanks for such a nice gesture :) 


Thankyou all so much for the opportunity to receive one of your quilts
My name is XXXXX.    I'm 30 years of age, married with a 3 year old daughter.
Its tough out here without family.
Thankyou so much for all your hard work on the quilts my shipmates are very excited by them. 


And here is the response from a couple who had heard that their quilts are on the way.

That sounds fantastic, thank you very much for the great news, just made my day!

Wow, Look forward to receiving it, it will be straight on my rack and will let you know as soon as I get it with a picture included. 

Now I am not ashamed to admit that I am one big softie and I would just love to see some quilts arriving on the ship.  Did you know mail can take 4-6 weeks?  So Slow!!!   Everyone has their own commitments and time constraints but just in case you can I think it would be really good if we managed to send our quilts a bit earlier than originally planned.  I am mainly thinking of the December/January quilts.  If there is any way you can send them a bit earlier I think that would be absolutely great.  If you can't, so be it, but I just thought I would make the suggestion.

Please excuse the brevity of my comments - trying to get lots done before the sewing day in Penrith on Sunday and before I go away for three days next week.


A striking quilt by Irene


Rae's first Aussie Hero Quilt


Penrith Ladies plus the Sewng Library


Cat's second quilt in two weeks.

  
Deborah's first Aussie Hero Quilt


I put the initials onto these and sent them off.


Jill put some of our Strippy BOM Blocks and finished this one off.  Doesn't it look great.


And she made a couple of laundry bags too.



Another one by Jill - named "Red, White and Blue, Soldier we thank you"
Perfect!



A laundry bag to go with it.


Karen B 


Kylie turn a lonely UFO into this gorgeous quilt and sent it off 

Beth made this around a Bandana - I will be looking at those in a new light next year!


And this is another of Beth's quilt - I Spy for an adult!


Carol from Turramurra has been back to work and this was the result.


This one went on its way from Kimberley in South Australia.   
This is her first Aussie Hero Quilt!


Mmmmm, just love the scrappiness of this quilt by Linda!


There was a laundry bag to go with the quilt and 


a pile of laundry bags to head of to the Special Forces guys.


How cute is this for a dog quilt by Marg?


And one for the handler!  Love it!


A wonderful scrap quilt by Marilyn..............


plus a cool laundry bag!


 Tracey from VIC put these two toegether - you can see the Laundry Bag in this pic


 and check out the scraps in this quilt! 


Liz made this fabulous laundry bag 


and of course a quilt.  Love those wonky log cabins!



Don't forget our next Penrith Sewing Day is coming up this 
Sunday the 16th  at Penrith Patchwork from 10 to 3pm.  
Space is limited so please contact me if you are able to join us.  This month we will be making blocks and if we get time, constructing a quilt top or two.  All materials supplied.
Hope to see you there.

Till next time............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!


4 comments:

  1. What a lot of lovely pictures! So many new followers! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, such a wonderful selection of show and tell...love Marilyns quilt block with the Aussie Flag in it....it jumps right out at you and say "Aussie Aussie Aussie" so well done girl!

    Great work all around, and so many first timers....well done.

    Hugs
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blog friend directed me to your site and I'm delighted to learn about what you are doing! I would love to share about it on my blog this week if you are ok with that and have also added your badge to my blogs "Like Minded" page. Gorgeous work and love the laundry bag idea...so smart! :)

    ReplyDelete