Thursday 15 March 2012

A hundred quilts for a hundred heroes!

Anyone posted off any boxes today?  
Please leave a comment if you have.

I have had a couple of questions about the Half Square Triangle BOMs so I thought I would answer there here in case others have questions too.  The first question I was asked was what size is the block after the two squares have been sewn together and then cut in half diagonally.  At this point it should be 4 1/2 inches.
 Once you have sewn your four blocks together it should be 8 1/2 inches square.  The beauty of a pinwheel block though is that if there is some variation in size you can trim all blocks to match the size of the smallest which is fabulous when you consider all the different blocks being sewn by all the different sewing machines!
I was also asked how many pinwheels it takes to make an Aussie Hero quilt.  Hmmm, as you know that depends on the design you decide to go with but I decided to draw up a plan for a very simple design.  This uses four blocks across and eight down - 32 blocks.  Or, if you alternate with a solid block then you can do 16 pinwheels and 16 solid.  Hope that helps.  
Of course you can also put pinwheels on point but that is more complicated and I have decided to KISS - keep it super simple!

Here is a rough tally of the quilts being sent to Afghanistan. This just includes those that are finished - not the tops I have ready to work on here.  The quilts that I have listed as leaving from Sydney include all the tops and quilts that have been sent to me from all over the place. The ones from Sydney going to the WO are ones I am sending direct to the Warrant Officer so he can hand them to his replacement team when they arrive.   I listed the 6 from Turramurra Quilters separately as they are sending those direct to a soldier they have contact with.  The same applies to the 60 that the Singleton Quilters are planning to send direct to a team they are supporting.  Put that all together and we will be sending over 100 quilts!!!!!!   Have a look at the quick table I drew up today.  I know I have left some people off so if you are one of them please leave me a comment as I just don't have time to go back through my loads and loads of emails and find everyone.  If you are including a laundry bag with your quilt please let me know so I can add it to the table.  


Quilts                                                        Laundry Bags


tally


Tally
From Sydney – to AFPO
15
15
Sydney to AFPO
15
15
From Sydney to WO
8
23
Sydney to WO
16
31
Debra – outback quilter
2
25
Susan
10
41
Christine –
4
29
Kathy
15
56
Larissa –
2
31



Caz –
2
33



Tracey Mistea –
1
34



Erika
2
36















Turramurra quilts -
6




Singleton Quilters
60






And please - 
PHOTOS OF ALL QUILTS AND LAUNDRY BAGS TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS PLEASE.  
Let us make a fabulous gallery of everyone's wonderful work!

Till next time.......keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment